How Do I Control My Thoughts?

Recently I have been reading a very engaging novel before going to sleep at night. It is imaginatively brilliant with a seductively involving plot line, yet many of the characters are mean-spirited and occupy a bleak world.

Recently I have also been having unusually disturbing dreams, with appearances by Nazis and vampires. And I have noticed that recently I have been waking up a bit out of sorts and it takes me longer to get to the emotional balance and spiritual center with which I like to begin my day.
So what a good reminder it was for me to read Week 2 of Seeing Good at Work, which points out the great influence of what we put INTO our mind on the CONTENT of our thoughts. No wonder my dreams and morning mood have been uncomfortable, if the last “think” I am taking into sleep is unpleasant.

Yes, it’s true that I might still feel like I cannot control all my thoughts or my emotional moods, but I sure do have some say in where I am putting my attention – on the things I read, on the people I hang out with, on the TV or films I watch. It is obvious, when you think about it, that negative people and conversations and disturbing reading material and visuals are going to impact what’s hanging around in your mind. And it stands to reason that the more uplifiting the conversations and material you engage in, the more healthy and pleasant your thoughts will be.

But just like junk food, the negative conversations and media are attractive and can seem enjoyable. So the trick is to have healthy options available -- the kind of friends and books and entertainment that do for your mind what celery can do for your body: satisfy your hunger while supporting your well-being.

I still want to read my novel, but I have a new plan: I’m going to read it earlier in the evening, and be sure that the last thing I read before I go to sleep IS something that nourishes, soothes, and relaxes me.       

No comments:

Post a Comment