What's In A Title? Seeing Good or Seeing God?

I was surfing the web today looking for the phrase "Spirituality in the workplace" and was delighted with how many blogs and articles I came across.  I remembered, while surfing, how it amused me when I was being introduced at speaking engagements and my presenter would say "..co-author with Dr. Joyce Duffala of Seeing God At Work." 

The actual title of the book is Seeing Good At Work, specifically so that it would be more accessible to people for whom God is difficult to integrate in the workplace.  I remember watching some folk's eyes glaze over and I would tell myself, "Oh well, just lost another reader."

I have learned to get over that and just enjoy the experience and trust that those for whom the book can offer the most will find their way to it.  Call it good, call it God, or don't call it anything at all - the exercises still do the same thing for me, increase my awareness of what is harmonious, powerful and possible in the workplace.

I was reminded of this just the other day when a colleague told me what week's exercise he was on and how it had been 'working him.'  Wanting to share what the exercises are like, I created a page on our Seeing Good At Work Blog with a sample exercise, recommended reading lists, testimonials and you name it.  And while I was doing that, I realized, it would have been just fine to call the book Seeing God At Work, I wouldn't have minded at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment